These are the facts that my students were surprized at and even shocked by. Teachers — find the downloadable worksheet below the text.
Picture source: PGiGreen Blog (click the pic) , facts source: http://library.thinkquest.org/11353/facts.htm
- Energy saved from one recycled (переработанный) aluminum can will operate a TV set for 3 hours, and is the equivalent to half a can of gasoline.
- About 1% of U.S. landfill (свалки) space is full of disposable diapers (памперсы), which take 500 years to decompose (разлагаться).
- If just 25% of U.S. families used 10 fewer plastic bags a month, we would save over 2.5 BILLION bags a year.
- On average (в среднем), the 140 million cars in America are estimated to travel almost 4 billion miles in a day, and according to the Department of Transportation, they use over 200 million gallons of gasoline doing it.
- Every year we throw away 24 million tons of leaves and grass. Leaves alone account for 75% of our solid waste (отбросы) in the fall.
- Over 100 pesticide ingredients are suspected (подозревают) to cause birth defects, cancer, and gene mutations.
- Every ton of recycled office paper saves 380 gallons of oil.
- Glass produced from recycled glass instead of raw materials (сырье) reduces (снижает) related air pollution by 20%, and water pollution by 50%.
- Americans use 50 million tons of paper annually (ежегодно)— consuming more than 850 million trees.
- Homeowners use up to 10 times more toxic chemicals per acre than farmers.
- By turning down your central heating thermostat one degree, fuel consumption (потребление горючего) is cut by as much as 10%.
- Insulating (изоляция) your attic (чердак) reduces the amount of energy loss in most houses by up to 20%.
- Enough glass was thrown away in 1990 to fill the Twin Towers (1,350 feet high) of New York’s World Trade Center every two weeks.
- One ton of carbon dioxide that is released (выбрасывается) in the air can be prevented by replacing every 75 watt light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs (лампочки).
- Many banks lent (одалживали) large sums of money to developing nations. In order to pay those debts (долги) plus interest many nations have turned to the mining (добыча) of their natural resources as a source of financial aid.
- Every day 40,000 children die from preventable diseases.
- The public transportation that we have is a wreck (лежит в руинах). The U.S. continues to promote and invest in private car travel rather than public transportation.
- The human population of the world is expected to be nearly tripled (утроится) by he year 2100.
- The amount of motor vehicles (средства передвижения) that are expected to be operated will increase 15 million a year until at least 2010.
- Already a train system has been developed (back in 1987) which is based on magnetic levitation and causes minimal pollution. These versions of a train are already in use in several countries.
- Fibre optics (оптическое волокно), made of glass, are being used to replace copper (медные) cables throughout the world.
- The uncontrolled fishing that is allowed has reduced the amount of commercial species (виды). Some species, up to one-tenth of their original population.
- Every day 50 to 100 species of plants and animals become extinct (вымирают) as their habitat and human influences destroy them. (download these facts as 2 worksheets (A and B) for pairwork in class (information exchange): Amazing environmental facts worksheet)